Upcoming Events and Personal Appearances:
- 8-10 November: Brisbane Supanova. I’m heading interstate with my books for the first time in Brisbane! Come and find me in Artist Alley- Indie Zone (at table #16, near the Comic Book Guests).
I’ll also have a limited number copies of ‘Fire and Brimstone’, the latest anthology to publish one of my short (short) stories.
- 16th November: PBA FM Open Day and Market: Support local Community Radio at 17-19 Wiltshire Street, Salisbury (South Australia). There will be dancing, Northern Singer/Songwriter launch, vintage cars, games, music, dancing, station tours, your chance to be on radio, poetry slam, markets, food and more. I’ll be there with my books, badges and mugs.
Past Events and Appearances:
- 15th October: Guest Blog post on Mark Haye’s blog, The Passing Place. I talk about steampunk, the wonder of the world and writing.
- 1-3 November: Adelaide Supanova. I enjoyed another local Supanova in the Indie Press Zone of the Artist Alley. Thanks to everyone who supported this indie author. Let’s hope it returns next year.
- 7th October Adelaide Comic & Toy Fair. This was my first time at The Comic & Toy Fair, I’m hoping to return next year.
- 27th September: I chatted live with Phil and Ria, on the Recovery and Wellbeing Show, about books, steampunk and mental health.
- 14-15 September: Adelaide Steampunk Festival. National Railways Museum, Port Adelaide. There’s trains and steampunk, writers and artists. What more do you need? I’ll have my books, t-shirts, mugs, badges and some steampunky hats!
- 6th September: Interview on Words Out Loud. PBA FM Adelaide.
- 16th June: Aus Sci Fi Garage Sale/Author’s Alley/ Sausage Sizzle. Woodville, South Australia.
- 14th April- 22nd May: Book blog tour for The Department of Curiosities.
- 22nd May – Official release day for The Department of Curiosties, AND Tillie Meriwether’s birthday
- 30 May – 3rd June: I attended The New Zealand Steampunk Festival in Oamaru.
- 15 March: Steampunk Takeover. FB event: Fantasy and Sci-Fi Readers Lounge
- 25th February: Our Books Are Not Free(Facebook Event):
Over 100 Authors. Not a single book will be given away. Just fantastic authors with great books at reasonable prices.
- 18 February (US timezone): – guest blog post on Blake and Wight’s Frost Fair.
- February: Steampunk Hands Around the World: Read posts by Kevin D Steil and other steampunks from around the world. This year’s theme is ‘This is me.’ I’ll be posting to my blog on this webpage later in the month.
- 12 December: 12 Days of Christmas Book Buying Event : FB online public event. I gave away copies of Aunt Enid and The Adventures of Viola Stewart.
- 2-4th November: Supanova Adelaide. Wayville Showgrounds.
I was in Artist Alley again this year. On Saturday I did a talk:
Creating Your Own Steampunk World or Persona (on writing/ costuming steampunk) and on Sunday I sat on an indie author panel with fellow Adelaide spec fic authors, Katie Fraser, Kylie Leane and Matt Pike (on plotting and pantsing).
- 15-16th September: Adelaide Steampunk Festival. National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide. I presented Adelaide’s first parasol dueling demonstration and did an Author Talk this year.
- 18th July – The Steampunk Hour. Interview by Hal Crompton. Lincoln Radio, UK. My first international radio interview! You can also hear ‘The Gadgeteer‘ Listen to the Podcast on Hal’s webpage.
- 11th July– Elevensies with Aunt Enid. Penny Blake’s blog, Blake and Wight.
- 10th July – Morning Cuppa – Aunt Enid: Protector Extraordinaire review: Penny Blake’s blog, Blake and Wight.
- 26th July (Aunts and Uncles Day) : Book review on NOA Rowle’s blog, Through the Eyes of a Stranger, to celebrate Aunts and Uncles Day.
- 8th May: PBA FM ‘Words Out Loud’ Interview.
We talked about Aunt Enid and steampunk, events. Listen to the podcast here.
- 12th May: Pop Con 2.0! Thebarton Community Centre, Thanks to the organisers for hosting their first Artist Alley and our panel on steampunk.
- 14th May: Aunt Book eBook FB Launch for
- 20-22 April: Supanova Melbourne. Melbourne Showgrounds. This was my first road trip to Melbourne Supanova, with fellow Adelaide indie speculative fiction authors, KE Fraser, Kylie Leane and Matt Pike. Congratulations to the winners of both Indie Indie Author ‘bingo’ competitions. I sold out of the ‘Where’s Holmes’ anthology.
- 22-26th April: NZ and Australian Author Sale Promotion.
The final eBook of Viola’s final adventures, ‘The Illusioneer’, was on sale as part of this indie author promotion. l.
- February, 2018: Steampunk Hands Around the World IV
“Get your steam vehicle powered up – we’re going on a Steampunk Road Trip! Join in to see the interesting people, places, and groups which are part of our steampunk community all around the world”
You can read Karen’s SHAW blog posts HERE (On Steampunk)
- Spend Christmas with Viola – buy your ebook copy of Tomorrow, When I Die or buy the paperback with the story.
- 17-19 November: Adelaide Supanova. I’ll be in The Artists Alley with my books – including Viola’s newest set of adventures, The Illusioneer & Other Tales, mugs, badges, t shirts, new octoscarves… and some giveaways.
- 10 November. Christmas Gift Giving Market, Community Learning Centre, Tea Tree Gully. 4.30-8.30pm
Tea Tree Gully Library hosted a market with local artists, designers, crafters and writers. Book 3 was available for the first time.
- 19-20 August: Steampunk Festival/Book Launch. National Railway Museum.
Karen’s new ebooks, From the Depths, and Tomorrow, When I Die were launched at the Festival and the cover of The Illusionist & Other Tales was revealed.
- 4-6 August: Nullus Anxietas, West Lakes, South Australia. Karen ran a workshop – Write your own Discworld story:plotting for non-plotters and was on the Steampunk panel – discussing steampunk influences in Discworld, Sunday afternoon.
- 15th July: LibCon17, Burnside library hosted its first LibCon, celebrating fandoms, with author and artist panels and stalls. Karen had her books, mugs and badges for sale.
- Sunday 11th June: Aus Sci Fi & Fantasy group. The Warehouse building at the Brocas 111 Woodville Rd, St Clair. Karen talked all things steampunk – and shared props, photos, and videos.
- 21st April, 2017: Celebrating 30 years (naming of) Steampunk. Facebook event and live videos.
- 1-2 April, 2017: Adelaide Oz Comic Con. Wayville Showgrounds, Adelaide. Karen’s first Oz Comic Con in Artists’ Alley (booth #31) Books, original art mugs, badges and t-shirts were available.
- Sunday 2nd April: Adelaide Independent Authors: Open a Book to the World of Self Publishing. Adelaide OzComicCon.
Local Adelaide authors host a panel on how to complete a manuscript, edit your work and, finally, see your name in cover art. This session will be informative and potentially entertaining as a bunch of authors step out from behind their computer screens to talk about their passion and explain just some of the steps needed to reach self-publication dreams.
- February, 2017: Steampunk Hands Around the World is happening again. Read blogs by steampunks from around the world. This year’s theme: Steampunk: Making Life Better. Follow on Airship Ambassador’s official blog list.
Image Courtesy of Mr. XPK
- 25th February. Salisbury Secret Garden Markets, Salisbury Civic Square. Karen was part of the creator markets at the Sounds in the Square, with Thirsty Merc.
14th February, 2017: Our Books Are not Free, FB event at 10.30pm (Australian Central Daylight Savings Time (CDT). Over 100 authors. Not a single book will be given away. Just some fantastic authors with great books, at reasonable prices. Individual author slots last thirty minutes.
- 14th February, 2017: Words Out Loud – PBA-FM (89.7) Jo Baker discussed Karen’s books, writing and other stuff on her local show.
- 17th December, 2016: Adelaide Indie Author Pop-up Store. Karen, and other local authors, Alex James (Galexty Tales – fantasy, dystopian, SF books) and Darren Koziol (Dark Oz – fantasy and horror comics) signed books at Greenlight Comics, Adelaide. T-shirts, badges and mugs were also available.
- 18-20th November, 2016: Adelaide Supanova. Adelaide Showgrounds. Karen was in the Indie Zone of The Alley. Thanks to everyone who stopped by or bought a book.
29-30th October: Halloween Comic Con: The Market on Flinders Street, 230 Flinders Street, Adelaide.
What better than Jack the Ripper and Mummies for halloween?
Come and meet Karen. Both books in the Adventures of Viola Stewart series will be available. Badges and mugs and octoscarves will also be available. See Adelaide’s creators – authors, comic writers and illustrators – and all things related to comics and pop-culture.
9th October: Mutant Stepchildren: Karen spoke to Adelaide writers group, Mutant Stepchildren, on why she writes steampunk and self-publishing in Australia.
17-18th September: Steampunk Festival, National Railways Museum
Official book launch, Eye of the Beholder & Other Tales: The Adventures of Viola Stewart Journal #2. Congratulations to Ben, who won the Men in Grey mug raffle.
- 11th September: Pre-Book launch Aus Sci Fi Hillcrest Community Club, 27-31 Queensborough St. Karen spoke on steampunk and becoming an indie author in Australia. There was also a sneak preview of the book trailer for the latest Adventures of Viola Stewart book, Eye of the Beholder & Other Tales. Congratulations to Veronica Gaunt who won the steampunk costume prize.
- May 8th: Exploring Steampunk. (Dressing Up). Speaking Event: Karen spoke on steampunk’s creative movement and steampunk costuming at the Dressing Up Exhibition, part of South Australia’s History Festival. Drill Hall, Torrens Parade Ground, Victoria Dr, Adelaide.
- Feb 19th – March 29th, 2016: The Adelaide Fringe. Karen participated in The Fringe for the first time. Her short story, Hunted, was chosen for inclusion in A Trail of Tales, an exhibition combining the talents of local Tea Tree Gully writers and artists, based on history, legend and magic of Pine Park and its surrounds. The art installation runs from 12th February to 14th March at Pine Park at 2 Haines Rd Tea Tree Gully 5091 SA – and will have QR codes to access the related written works from those on the website.
“Dip into the secrets hidden within”
Opening Ceremony Video
- Feb 1st-29th, 2016: Steampunk Hands Around the World. This year’s theme was ‘My favourite things’. Karen’s posted weekly steampunk blogs. You can find a full listing on Airship Ambassador’s official Steampunk Hands Around the World’s Link List.
- 20th-22nd November, 2015: Supanova Pop Culture Event, Adelaide Showgrounds. Karen had a booth in The Alley, with copies of Doctor Jack & Other Tales, octoscarves, badges, mugs and accessories available for purchase. Thank you to everyone who asked about Viola’s next adventures!
- Sunday 1st November, 2015: Adelaide Mini Comic Convention – Flinders Street Markets, Adelaide. Meet local artists and writers. Copies of The Adventures of Viola Stewart Journal #1: Doctor Jack and Other Tales, mugs, badges, Octoarms jewelry, bookmarks and scarves were available. Thanks to those of you who popped by and said hello.
- 17-18 October, 2015 Book Expo Australia. Exhibition Hall 5, Sydney Showgrounds, Sydney Olympic Park. Karen’s book, Doctor Jack & Other Tales, was featured in The Indie Book Shelf.
- Sept 2nd, 2015: Karen talked about Writing Steampunk and Self-publishing, for local Adelaide Critical Mass Discussion Group at the SA Writers Centre.
- July 4th, 2015: Australia’s Biggest Morning CosTEAume Party (in the afternoon).
(run by Cosplay for a Cause to raise money for Cancer Council.) Paperback copies of The Adventures of Viola Stewart Journal #1: Doctor Jack and Other Tales, Octoarms jewelry and badges were available. 10% of all sales were donated to Cancer Council.
- Saturday 30th May, 2015. BOOK LAUNCH of paperback, The Adventures of Viola Stewart – Journal #1: Doctor Jack & other Tales, at the National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide.
- 29th May, 2015: Interview on ABC891 Adelaide – with Peter and Paul, as part of Steampunk Festival.
- 28th May: Guest Blog Post: Steampunk Coffeetime Romance and More – Revelry (plus competition).
- 19th May: Blog Interview on Cogpunk Steamscribe
- 7th May: Interview by Blimprider’s Directory of Future Stars on writer.com
- February 2015: Steampunk Hands Around the World: Karen participated in this community project throughout February, 2015 (You can find her blogging all about steampunk and catch up with other steampunks as they share their passion – a full list will be published at Airship Ambassador’s website.)
- 29th June 2014: Australia’s Biggest Steampunk Afternoon Teananigans – a belated Australia’s Biggest Morning Tea, Steampunk style! North Adelaide Community Centre, North Adelaide. (Octoarms, original artwork, photography and mugs. 10% of all profits were donated to The Cancer Council. Introduced the upcoming ‘The Adventures of Viola Stewart‘.
- February, 2013 to December 2013: Bullina China Shop. Shop 60/ Northpark Shopping Centre. 264 Main North Road, Prospect, South Australia. . (Original Photography)
My work is currently being shown/ available at:
- A Rare Notion..Shop 110 Balcony Level, Adelaide Arcade, Adelaide South Australia (Arts, Crafts, Jewely, Collectibles, Vintage Clothing) From June 2013. (Portable Art: Mugs, Ocotoarm Bookmarks, badges/ Framed Original Photography)
Karen’s Flickr Album of Events: https://flic.kr/s/aHsk1DeKQW
[slickr-flickr search=”sets” set=”72157646322151994″ items=”20″ type=”slideshow”]